Saturday, April 21, 2007

Excess baggage

Gal 6:14-18
(14) But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world.


I think this is a lifetime undertaking. To be crucified to the world, while still living in it. It is a great goal, but not something you can say once and just be there. I keep slipping back into the flesh. It is hard not to glory in accomplishment. Yet man is only vanity. It is the cross that stays.

(15) For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision, but a new creature.


We are new creatures, but we are still dragging old baggage along with us. Every now and then, we succeed in leaving a piece of it at the cross, but we are still dragging bits and pieces of our worldliness around with us. if we live long enough, and keep leaving bits and pieces of our baggage at the cross, maybe someday we will really be crucified unto the world, and sanctified.

(16) And as many as walk according to this rule, peace be on them, and mercy, and upon the Israel of God.
(17) From henceforth let no man trouble me: for I bear in my body the marks of the Lord Jesus.
(18) Brethren, the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit. Amen


I should let no man trouble me, for I bear the mark of the Lord Jesus. Some will try to trouble us. We can't be troubled. We are sealed.

So, I just read what I wrote, to see what God is telling me. (I asked Him to open my eyes to the scripture and I ask Him for a word for you, and I asked Him for a word for ME.) He is telling me to keep dropping my old baggage, just let it go, and glory ONLY in the cross. I wonder if He has something specific in mind, or if it applies to progress.

No comments: