Friday, June 22, 2007

Legacy

12. Wherefore I will not be negligent to put you always in remembrance of these things, though ye know them, and be established in the present truth.
13. Yea, I think it meet, as long as I am in this tabernacle, to stir you up by putting you in remembrance;
14. Knowing that shortly I must put off this my tabernacle, even as our Lord Jesus Christ hath shewed me.


This is not an attitude for the aged. Not a one of us knows when he will be called home. There is no guarantee of tomorrow and we are continually reminded that there is no age limit on death. Every one of us should know that we will shortly put off this tabernacle, maybe today, maybe tomorrow. Are we ready?
15. Moreover I will endeavour that ye may be able after my decease to have these things always in remembrance.

And what will people remember when we are gone? Will they remember Christ, or some stupid joke we once told, or some dumb prank we once played? Will they remember that we were committed to Christ, or will they remember that we were Sunday morning Christians? When they remember the things we used to say, will it encourage them in the Word? Or will it be old wives tales? I think of the many sayings I remember from my Grandma, and I didn’t know her very much. I don’t believe any of them were about Jesus, or sin, or heaven. Except that she said if you don’t have anything good to say about someone, keep your mouth shut.

16. For we have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of his majesty.
17. For he received from God the Father honour and glory, when there came such a voice to him from the excellent glory, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.18. And this voice which came from heaven we heard, when we were with him in the holy mount.

No comments: